If you live in a brand new home in Omaha or Council Bluffs, it probably has insulation from the roof to the foundation. If you live in an old house that hasn’t gotten all the attention it could use, it might have next to no insulation. Regardless of the age of your home, it could probably use more insulation. Here’s a quick guide to insulation and the places in your home where it may be appropriate:

Batts and rolls

  • Made of fiberglass, mineral wool, plastic fibers or natural fibers
  • Used in unfinished walls, foundation walls, floors and ceilings
  • Fitted between studs, joists and beams

Foam board/rigid foam

  • Often made of polystyrene or polyurethane
  • Used in unfinished walls, foundation walls, floors, ceilings and unvented low-slope roofs
  • When used inside, must be covered with building-code approved material for fire safely
  • When used outside, should be covered with weatherproof material

Loose fill/blown-in

  • Made of cellulose, fiberglass or mineral wool
  • Used for enclosed walls, open wall cavities, unfinished attic floors and hard-to-get-at places
  • Can be blown in place or poured
  • Can be added to finished areas, oddly shaped areas and obstructed places


  • Made of foil-lined paper, plastic film, polyethylene bubbles or cardboard
  • Used for unfinished walls, ceiling and floors

Rigid fiber

  • Made of fiberglass or mineral wool
  • Can withstand high temperatures

Sprayed foam and foamed-in-place

  • Most often composed of polyurethane
  • Used for enclosed walls, wall cavities and unfinished attic floors
  • Used to add insulation to existing areas and oddly shaped places

When you’re choosing insulation for your home, consult with a trusted contractor. Each type has benefits and uses, and your contractor can assist you in choosing the best one for your home.

For more information about insulation or any other home-comfort need, contact Fred’s Heating and Air. We have been serving homeowners in the Omaha and Council Bluffs area for 25 years.