Ductless Mini-Split Maintenance You Can Perform This Weekend
A ductless mini-split system is an efficient method of heating and cooling a room, particularly in situations where ductwork isn’t available for a traditional ducted system. That said, maintenance on a mini-split unit is just as important as with other types of HVAC systems.
Unlike a ducted HVAC system, a ductless mini-split system doesn’t heat and cool the whole house, just the room where it’s installed. An outside unit compresses the refrigerant, which is then pumped through an insulated pipe to the indoor unit, where it cools the air flowing across it. When heating’s needed, the process is reversed.
As with any other type of device, a ductless mini split requires regular preventive maintenance to keep it running at peak efficiency and ensure that your electric bill is as low as possible. Most of these maintenance items are things you can do at home with little to no money spent.
- Check the air filters regularly and clean or replace when dirt appears.
- Keep the evaporator coils in the inside and the condenser coils outside clean. The better these coils can transfer heat, the more efficient the system will be. Dirt hinders heat transfer.
- Open the indoor case and observe the balance on the blower assembly and fan wheel. If things look out of whack, contact your trusted HVAC professional.
- Make sure the pipes and connections through the wall are all in good condition and not showing excess signs of wear.
- Ensure that the outdoor unit and pipes are all properly secured to prevent vibrations that can damage the piping.
For more information about your ductless mini split and how to best maintain it, contact the pros at Fred’s Heating and Air. We have over 25 years of experience with residential and commercial heating and cooling systems, including ductless mini-split systems.