Mold Growth Can Be Prevented by Staying Aware of Indoor Humidity
With the humid weather commonly found in Omaha, mold is a problem many homeowners must deal with. One way to help eliminate this problem is to be aware of your home’s indoor humidity levels.
Toxic molds, which damage your indoor air quality, require a warm, damp environment in which to grow, and if you can prevent that environment from occurring in your home, you can help prevent the growth of molds.
To combat mold, you must first understand how moisture enters your home. Humidity can enter your home through moisture:
- From the outside air
- From the people in your home who breathe and perspire
- From water running in your home
- Brought in on wet shoes or clothing
- From house plants and even moist firewood
In order to know if you have a moisture problem, you must monitor it. Experts recommend that Omaha area homeowners maintain a humidity level of around 60 percent in the summer to keep your family comfortable without giving too much room for mold to grow and less than 40 percent in the winter to prevent condensation problems.
If you notice that your home’s too moist or not moist enough, Fred’s Heating and Air can help with the installation of a humidifier or dehumidifier. For over 25 years, we’ve been helping homeowners in Omaha and Council Bluffs keep their homes comfortable year-round. Let us help you identify ways you can improve the indoor humidity levels in your home to discourage mold growth as you strive to help your family live a comfortable, healthy life.